Chickpeas cooked with cottage cheese cubes in a smooth tomato gravy, in short Chana paneer. It’s a Punjabi dish, originally a variation of the famous Matar Paneer (cottage cheese and peas).Chickpeas (kabuli chana) is a legume, full of good proteins and so is our good old paneer (fried cheese).
Its great feast for people with heart trouble n diabetics, who are vegetarian, as it proves to be a great source of protein.
You can also cook this dish without the tomatoes and add amchoor, cumin powder and lemon juice, serve it like a chaat with kulchas.Decrease the preparation and the cooking time of this dish by using, canned chickpeas and tomato puree.
Chana Paneer recipe
Prep: 15 min. Cooking: 90 min. Serves: 8 Grade: Moderate
INGREDIENTS Chana Paneer
- Chick peas 1 cup
- Fried Cheese ½ recipe
- Tomatoes 2 large
- Onion 3 medium
- Garlic 6 cloves
- Ginger 1”piece
- Red Chilli Powder ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
- Garam Masala 1 tsp
- Salt ½ tsp
- Green chillies 1 (finely chopped)
- Fenugreel Leaves 1 tsp
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Coriander Leaves For Garnish
Method for preparation Chana Paneer
- Soak the Chick Peas (Chana), over night in water, with ½ tsp salt
- Grind the Onion, Garlic and Ginger, also grind the tomatoes to a puree separately
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan, and stir in the onion, garlic n ginger paste.
- Cook the Onions till they turn golden brown in color.
- Add the spices, half of the Garam masala, and salt.
- Cook the spices in the onions for about a minute to release their flavor.
- Add the tomato puree and chopped green chillies.
- Cook the tomatoes with the onions, till the oil starts to separate.
- Toss the chickpeas in the tomatoes, pour in the water used for soaking and 2 cups additional, bring it to a boil.
- Cook the chickpeas in a covered pot for 1 ½ hours on low flame, or pressure cook them for 30 min.
- Add more water If required, while cooking in a pot.
- Check the doneness of the chickpeas, press one chickpea between the thumb and forefinger, it should be tender throughout.
- Add the cubed fried cheese (paneer or cottage cheese cubes)
- Cover the pot and let the chane paneer simmer for another 10 min, add the remaining half of the Garam Masala.
Garnish with Chopped coriander leaves, ginger juliennes, Crumbled Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi). Serve hot with Rice, Parantha, Chapati.